Barley and Chorizo Minestrone Recipe. Chorizo adds a lovely smokey flavour to this modern take on the classic Italian Barley and Chorizo Minestrone soup. Serve with parsley and crumbled feta for the ultimate winter warmer.
Barley and Chorizo Minestrone Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages, coarsely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 800g diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 400g cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- ½ bunch kale, shredded
- marinated feta, crumbled, to serve
- shredded flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
How to make Barley and Chorizo Minestrone Recipe
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add sausages. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Add onion, carrot, celery, zucchini and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
3. Add paprika and stir to combine. Add sherry and bring to the boil. Add tomatoes, stock and barley. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until barley is tender.
4. Add beans and kale; stir until kale wilts. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
5. Divide soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle with feta and parsley to serve.
On the hunt for more winter warmers? Try our 10 Soups To Get You Through Winter.