For an indulgent Greek take on a classic dish try this Baked Eggs in Filo Pastry with Saganaki Cheese Recipe. The tasty cheese, crispy pastry and delicious baked eggs make this a show stopping vegetarian breakfast.
Baked Eggs in Filo Pastry with Saganaki Cheese Recipe
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt flakes
- 6 filo pastry sheets
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (120g) grated saganaki cheese
- 8 eggs, at room temperature
How to make this Baked Eggs in Filo Pastry with Saganaki Cheese Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Place the panko breadcrumbs, lemon zest and pepper in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon of the dried oregano and 1 teaspoon of the salt, then mix well to combine.
2. Brush 1 sheet of pastry with a little oil, and then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of saganaki cheese and 1 tablespoon of the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat the process with the remaining pastry sheets, oil, cheese and breadcrumb mixture, layering one pastry sheet on top of another as you go.
3. Cut the layered pastry into 8 equal pieces and press into 8 x 8cm lightly greased tart tins, creating a well in the middle. Divide the remaining saganaki cheese between the tarts, then crack an egg into each. Place on a baking tray and cook for about 15 minutes for runny eggs, or 20 minutes for well done.
4. Mix the remaining oregano and salt together. Serve the eggs sprinkled with the oregano salt.
TIP: These eggs can be made ahead of time and eaten cold for a picnic brunch idea.