In light of World Pangolin Day, here are six interesting facts about the mammal.
- The word Pangolin comes from ‘penggulung,’ the Malay word for roller – which is the Pangolin’s self-defence action.
- There are eight species of Pangolin, all of which range from vulnerable to critically endangered.
- Pangolin range in size from 30 – 100 cm.
- Pangolin dig tunnels underground to sleep in, or live in hollow trees.
- Pangolin are covered in plate-like scales which are made of keratin, the same material that human fingernails consist of.
- Pangolin have no teeth and mainly eat insects and ants.