Despite being in high-profile relationships, including an engagement to Joshua Sasse, Kylie has challenged societal norms and expectations surrounding marriage.
In an interview with Red magazine, the 55-year-old singer expressed her unconventional views on marriage. “I never thought I would get married. Just going through ‘being engaged’ seems like an experiment, because I’d never as a girl or in all my life had a vision of getting married. It’s not something I needed or wanted. My parents never brought me up with the idea of ‘the big marriage.’ I never had it as a goal.”
Kylie’s engagement to Joshua became public in 2016 when she was seen wearing a ring on her engagement finger. However, she officially confirmed the engagement the following year in an announcement in The Daily Telegraph. Unfortunately, the engagement was short-lived, and Kylie and Joshua went their separate ways, as she later shared on social media.
Staying true to herself
Reflecting on her decision to end the engagement, Kylie admitted that she briefly considered conforming to expectations but ultimately chose to stay true to herself. “I thought, ‘Maybe I’ve got it all wrong and I should go for it. Maybe I should do what most of the world do. It works for them.’ Now I’m going to stick to my previous view. I don’t think marriage is for me.”
While Kylie may not be focused on marriage at the moment, she hasn’t ruled out the possibility of future relationships. In an interview, she expressed her love for romance but emphasised her current enjoyment of self-discovery and personal growth.
Kylie Minogue has had a series of high-profile relationships throughout her life.
Here is a glimpse into some of her past relationships:
- Jason Donovan: Kylie’s early fame was intertwined with her on-screen and off-screen romance with Jason Donovan. The two met while working on the popular Australian soap opera “Neighbours” in the late 1980s. Their on-screen chemistry translated into a real-life relationship. However, their romance eventually ended, but they remain friends to this day.
- Michael Hutchence: Kylie dated Michael Hutchence, the charismatic frontman of the rock band INXS, during the early 1990s. Their relationship garnered significant media attention. It was a passionate but short-lived romance.
- Olivier Martinez: Kylie was in a long-term relationship with French actor Olivier Martinez from 2003 to 2007. The couple met at the 2002 Grammy Awards and became engaged in 2003. However, they called off their engagement and parted ways in 2007, citing work commitments and long-distance as contributing factors.
- Andrés Velencoso: After her breakup with Olivier Martinez, Kylie began dating Spanish model Andrés Velencoso in 2008. Their relationship lasted for approximately five years before they amicably separated in 2013.
- Joshua Sasse: Kylie’s most publicised relationship in recent years was with British actor Joshua Sasse. The two became engaged in 2016 but called off their engagement in 2017. Their breakup was widely covered in the media.