Let’s be honest, when was the last time you cleaned your dishwasher?
Since your dishwasher is cleaning all day, you might assume it doesn’t need to be cleaned itself.
But like any kitchen appliance, your dishwasher can get built up with food scraps, grease and soap scum. This not only compromises its cleaning ability, but can make it look and smell bad.
So, time to put on those gloves and get cleaning.
While rinse aids and storebought cleaners can be used, you can also get your dishwasher sparkly clean with just a couple items from your pantry.
Here are our tips and tricks on how to deep clean your dishwasher and make it sparkly new.
A simple guide to cleaning your dishwasher
- Start by pulling out the racks. This makes it much easier to get to the filter and corners of the dishwasher.
- Check the filter. Chances are there are food scraps stuck in there. Give the filter a good wash and soak in warm, soapy water for about 10 minutes.
- Get into the corners. Use an old scrubbing brush or toothbrush to get into the nooks and corners of the whole dishwasher. Grime can often build up in these areas so its worth giving them a good onceover.
- Run an empty cycle with vinegar. A great natural cleaning product, vinegar is perfect for cutting through grime and cleaning. Fill a cup with vinegar, place on the top rack and run a regular cycle.
- If you want to give your dishwasher an extra clean, follow up the vinegar with baking soda. Sprinkle it around the bottom of the dishwasher and run it again on an empty cycle. This can help deodorize and remove any remaining stains.