Before you even start thinking about which indulgent beauty products you’re going to use in your at-home spa routine, it pays to think about your at-home spa space first. Think about the last time you stepped foot in the spa â€“ what was the environment like? How could you recreate that in your own home?
Declutter and set the scene
Spas tend to be warm, welcoming and nurturing environments that are free of clutter. One of the best ways to start setting the scene for your perfect at-home spa is by eliminating any clutter. If your bathroom is to become your pampering zone, give it a quick clean and tidy up. Once that’s done you can get started on setting the mood. There’s no right or wrong way to go about this as every individual switches off in different ways. For some, it might be a lit candle, others might light 10, then draw a bath, read a book, listen to soothing music or make a herbal tea.
Ritual not Routine
If your beauty routine is causing you stress, it might be time for you to rethink your approach to skincare. Rather than being a source of stress, the beauty products that you choose to use each day can actually offer a moment of escapism. Instead of treating the steps in your skincare regimen as a routine, try thinking of them as â€¨a ritual and respite from â€¨the day thatâ€™s ahead of, or behind, you.
Make a Date
Creating the perfect at-home spa can give you something to look forward to so why not schedule it in your diary? Set aside time to focus on yourself â€¨and stick to it â€“ no excuses.
At-home spa time means â€¨itâ€™s time to put all your devices down and get offline as disconnecting allows us to reconnect with ourselves. When you do use your devices, think of them as â€¨your servant not your master. Stop scrolling through Instagram mindlessly and instead use your device to help you unwind â€“ put on a meditation app, take a pause and allow your thoughts to settle and your stress levels to reduce.
Little Things Count
Incorporating small rituals into every day can help maximise â€śmeâ€ť time and transport your senses to the relaxing and rejuvenating â€¨spa environment. Try placing an essential oil on the floor of your shower. Each morning when you step into the shower youâ€™ll get that beautiful aroma that will take you back to your last spa appointment.
Our At-Home Spa Essentials
1. Set the mood with a Boys Smells candle (shop them here). Our pick is Petal which features notes 2earthy and floral notes of rose, sage and patchouli.
2. Don’t forget to pamper your body too! Dr.Hauschkaâ€™s Birch Arnica Energising Body Oil ($47) refreshes the body and maintains moisture levels, leaving skin soft and supple. Shop it right here.
3. There’s a reason that Sisley‘s Black Rose Cream Mask ($200 – shop it here) a cult following â€“ the soothing mask really does what it promises. It quickly refreshes, rejuvenates, plumps and smoothes complexions that are in need of a pick-me-up.
4. If you’re looking to see some serious results from your at-home spa, don’t go past Dermalogica‘s Rapid Reveal Peel ($159 for 10). The powerful, fast-acting formula speeds up cell renewal and sloughs away dead skin cells to reveal radiant skin. Get your hands on it here.
5. Snowberry Soothing Facial Massage Oil ($36) rejuvenates skin with a revitalising blend of precious plant oils that are packed with healing and anti-ageing plant properties. Shop the oil here.