Please create an account
or Log in to subscribe


or


Subscribe to our RSS feeds Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Subscribe to our RSS feeds Watch us on Youtube View us on Instagram

George and Amal Clooney Donate $100,000 to support Beirut Charities following explosion

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 12: Amal Clooney and George Clooney attend a dinner to celebrate The Prince's Trust, hosted by Prince Charles, Prince of Wales at Buckingham Palace on March 12, 2019 in London, England. The Prince of Wales, President, The Prince’s Trust Group hosted a dinner for donors, supporters and ambassadors of Prince’s Trust International. (Photo by Chris Jackson - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

George and Amal Clooney Donate $100,000 to support Beirut Charities following explosion

George and Amal Clooney have pledged $100,000 to Lebanese charities after the couple were left "deeply concerned" for the people of Beirut, following a devastating explosion on Tuesday.

George and Amal Clooney Donate $100,000 to support Beirut Charities following explosion

The Health Ministry announced more than 145 deaths so far and 4,00o wounded people following the port warehouse explosion which stored explosive material.

Amal was born in Beirut. Her family left Lebanon for England when she was very young on account of the Lebanese Civil War. She went to to become an International human rights lawyer, working to protect free speech. 

A general view shows the damage at the site of Tuesday’s blast in Beirut’s port area, Lebanon August 5, 2020. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir

In an official announcement, the couple said “We’re both deeply concerned for the people of Beirut and the devastation they’ve faced in the last few days.” The couple continued, “Three charitable organisations we’ve found are providing essential relief on the ground: the Lebanese Red CrossImpact Lebanon, and Baytna Baytak.”

#Ourhomesareopen

Using social media, hundreds of Lebanese have offered shelter to strangers displaced by a devastating blast, which Beirut’s governor said may have left 250,000 people homeless. Using the hashtag #OurHomesAreOpen in Arabic and English, social media users have freely offered up spare beds and empty properties to victims, providing their names, phone numbers and details on the size and location of the accommodation.

Share on Facebook Pin on Pinterest Share by Email

Post a Comment

© MiNDFOOD 2020. All Rights Reserved

Web Design Sydney