We have a lot to thank Mediterranean countries for when it comes to cuisine. Countries like Greece, Israel and Italy not only inspire our culinary pursuits with fresh, flavourful dishes, but a diet that’s long been considered one of the healthiest in the world. Key components of the Mediterranean diet are healthy grains, fruits and vegetables.
Cranberries are a staple in many dishes from this sun-kissed corner of the world, loved not only for their sweet burst of flavour, but also for a number of health benefits, being an excellent source of gut-friendly fibre and polyphenol antioxidants that help prevent cell damage.
A tasty addition to this Mediterranean Israeli couscous salad, Ocean Spray® 50% Less Sugar Craisins® Dried Cranberries have the extra benefit of being lower in sugar, while still delivering a delicious, zingy taste.
Mediterranean Israeli Couscous Salad with Grilled Garlic Chicken Skewers
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp salt
8 deboned chicken thighs, diced
1 ½ cups Israeli Couscous
½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
½ cup Ocean Spray® 50% Less Sugar Craisins® Dried Cranberries
⅓ cup fresh mint, chopped
⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 lemon, sliced in half
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1. For the chicken marinade, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt.
2. Put the chicken in a ziplock bag and pour the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and shake the chicken until evenly coated. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 2 hours.
3. Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for a minimum of 30 minutes.
4. In the meantime, cook the couscous according to the packet instructions.
5. Drain the couscous through a colander with cold water.
6. Combine the couscous, tomatoes, cucumber, Ocean Spray® 50% Less Sugar Craisins® Dried Cranberries and herbs in a bowl and set it aside until ready to serve.
7. Preheat the oven grill to medium. In the meantime, thread the chicken onto the skewers and put them on a tray lined with baking paper. Put the lemon halves on the same tray and grill for seven minutes on each side or until cooked through.
8. To make the salad dressing, squeeze the juice of the grilled lemon into a small bowl. Add the olive oil, Dijon mustard and whisk to combine. Pour the dressing over the couscous salad, season with salt and mix well.
9. Serve the couscous salad on a platter, top with the grilled chicken skewers and garnish with parsley and a handful of Ocean Spray® 50% Less Sugar Craisins® Dried Cranberries.
To see the full range visit oceanspray.com.au