The prestigious list aims to spotlight and honour the outstanding professionals shaping the wine landscape with their expertise and dedication.
The Top 100 Sommeliers originally made waves in the UK when it was introduced in May 2023.
Following its resounding success and the enthusiastic response from the wine service professionals in the hospitality sector, the organisers, in collaboration with Douglas, decided to extend the accolade to the southern hemisphere.
Douglas, an esteemed figure in the world of wine, shared “It’s time to champion and recognise the work of our best Sommeliers. The best Sommeliers are dedicated to finding the best beverage for their customers and cuisine, for many becoming a lifelong passion.” Douglas further emphasised the journey of these experts, stating, “Discovering new wine and beverages, always learning and passing on their knowing to colleagues is part of the journey.”
The Top 100 Sommeliers is positioned as the definitive list of talented wine professionals within the on-trade domain.
The Sommeliers will be judged on:
- Expert wine knowledge – achieved through qualifications and/or experience
- Level of responsibility – cellar mastery, wine buying, list curation and staff management
- Working experience – length of time working in restaurants as a sommelier
- Professionalism – proven excellence in customer service/experience
- Industry endorsements – support quotes from peers
Professionals working in or connected to the dynamic and ever-evolving wine industry are encouraged to participate and be a part of this exclusive celebration. For those immersed in the vibrant world of wine, this initiative offers a unique opportunity to showcase their expertise and be recognised among the elite in the field.