Please create an account
or Log in to subscribe


or


Subscribe to our RSS feeds Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Subscribe to our RSS feeds Watch us on Youtube View us on Instagram

5 Reasons Your Teeth Will Thank You This Junk Free June

5 Reasons Your Teeth Will Thank You This Junk Free June

5 Reasons Your Teeth Will Thank You This Junk Free June

We’re all aware of the physical and mental benefits of Junk Free June, but many people oversee the positive effects on oral health. People are consuming record numbers of sugar-filled sodas, sweetened fruit drinks and non-nutritious snacks which are all playing havoc on our teeth. 

And whilst more and more people are getting amongst Junk Free June each year, one of Sydney’s leading dentists and Philips Sonicare Ambassador, Dr David Dunn, is highlighting how cutting back on junk this month will have more positive effects than you think.

Stronger tooth enamel 

Foods high in carbohydrates, sugars and starches greatly contribute to the production of plaque acids that attack the tooth enamel. Eventually these acids can cause tooth enamel to break down, forming a cavity. Instead, choose nutritious foods to snack on such as cheese, raw vegetables, plain yoghurt or a piece of fruit.

Reduced tooth decay

When bacteria comes into contact with sugar in the mouth, acid is produced and attacks the teeth for 20 minutes or more. This can eventually lead to tooth decay. Invest in a quality brush to also keep bacteria at bay.

Better resistance to infection

If your diet is low in the nutrients your body needs, your mouth may have a more difficult time resisting infection. Choose nutrient dense foods like protein and vegetables.

Easier oral maintenance 

Substances like caramel, toffee and syrup often get stuck in hard to reach places. Brushing only cleans 65 percent of the teeth surface and flossing makes up for the other 35 percent. A toothbrush can only reach the explicitly exposed surfaces of teeth. The minute there’s spaces between adjacent teeth, it provides flourishing values for bacteria.

Better overall health

Oral health has a strong association with the risk of chronic diseases including diabetes, and severe diseases including heart disease, stroke and cardiovascular disease.

Share on Facebook Pin on Pinterest Share by Email

Post a Comment

© MiNDFOOD 2017. All Rights Reserved

Web Design Sydney

0 Shares
Share
Tweet
+1
Share
Pin