100ml apple juice
100g Jerusalem artichoke
300ml deep-frying oil
4 slices of wholemeal bread
Chives, for garnish
- Peel and finely grate the ginger. Peel the beetroot and cut in very fine slices. Put both with the apple juice in a small pot and bring to the boil. Remove pot from the heat and leave for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scrub and dry the Jerusalem artichoke then cut into very fine slices with a vegetable slicer.
- Heat the frying oil in a pan to 160-170°C.
- Fry the Jerusalem artichoke until golden brown and crispy. Remove, drain on kitchen paper and season with sea salt.
- Drain beetroot marinade, reserve 2-3 tbsp of the marinade and mix with the quark. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the bread with the quark. Top with beetroot slices and Jerusalem artichokes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chives.