To celebrate MiNDFOOD’s 14th birthday Editor in chief Michael McHugh made this delicious Gugelhupf with the grannies from Vollpension – you can watch the video here:
70g icing sugar
100g icing sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla essence
One lemon for zest
1 knife tip baking powder
1 tbsp rum
70g chocolate, melted
- Preheat your oven to 170°C (150°C fan forced).
- Beat the egg whites and 70g icing sugar until stiff. In a separate bowl, whisk the butter, 100g icing sugar, egg yolks, vanilla and lemon zest until foamy.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Mix half of the flour into the butter mixture and combine. Add the milk and rum, combine, then add remainder of the flour. Combine with the egg white/sugar mixture. Place one-third of the mixture in a separate bowl, add melted chocolate and combine.
- Coat the cake tin with butter and a little flour. Add almonds. Pour the light-coloured mixture into the baking tin first, then add the chocolate mixture on top. Drag a fork through the batter in a wave-like motion to achieve the marble effect. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool for a few minutes, then take the cake out of the pan.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.