Silver Fern Farms Venison and Lamb with Kelp Sea Salt Burgers
Olive oil, for brushing
4 large portobello mushrooms
4 burger buns, split in half and toasted
Iceberg lettuce or rocket leaves
2 tomatoes, sliced
Caramelised Red Onions
2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, sliced
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp lime juice
½ tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp chipotle powder
- Remove Silver Fern Farms Venison and Lamb with Kelp Sea Salt Burgers from the fridge and allow to bloom for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- To prepare the caramelised red onions, heat the oil in a medium frying pan over low heat. Add the onions and cook very slowly for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and slightly coloured.
- Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar and season to taste. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelised.
- To prepare the chipotle mayo, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste, then set aside.
- Preheat a barbecue on high. Brush the burgers with a little olive oil then cook for 31/2 minutes each side, or until cooked through (cook for 4 minutes each side if cooking on the stovetop). Add the mushrooms to the barbecue, season and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- To serve, spread some of the chipotle mayo onto each toasted bun base. Add lettuce leaves or rocket and 2 slices of tomato. Add a burger, a mushroom and some caramelised onions. Spread more of the chipotle mayo on the underside of the bun top and place on top of the burger.