- 400g pumpkin, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp linseed (flax) meal
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- ¾ cup fine polenta
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 50g vegan butter, melted
- ¼ cup smoked almonds, roughly chopped
- Crispy oregano leaves, to serve
For the Smoky Corn, Chilli and Maple Butter:
- 1 cob corn, kernels removed
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp each smoked paprika, dried chilli flakes and finely grated lime zest
- 100g vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Place pumpkin in a 24cm heavy-based frying pan or skillet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake for 20 mins, or until tender. Remove from skillet.
- Meanwhile, place the linseed meal and water in a small bowl, mix to combine and set aside for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is ‘eggy’ in texture.
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond milk and vinegar together and set aside to curdle.
- Combine the baking soda, caster sugar, salt, polenta and flour in a large bowl. Add the linseed mixture, curdled milk mixture and butter; whisk to combine.
- Pour into the skillet, sprinkle with roasted pumpkin and almonds, reduce the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced) and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- To make the butter, combine the corn, maple, paprika and chilli in a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes. Take off the heat, add the lime zest and season. Set aside to cool. Add the softened butter. Place on a sheet on non-stick baking paper and roll into a log. Refrigerate until firm.
- Serve hot, topped with crispy oregano, slice into wedges and serve with butter.
- The butter can be made in advance. It will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- For the best crispy oregano, toss in 1 tsp of oil, place on a baking tray and bake for 2 minutes, or until crisp.
- This cornbread is perfect to serve hot or cold. You can also use up any leftover roasted vegetables instead of the roast pumpkin.