- 200 g pitted dates
- 60 ml almond milk
- 1 can coconut cream (400 ml), chilled overnight in the fridge
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 25 g crystallised ginger, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Generous pinch salt flakes
- Soak dates in boiling water for 10 minutes then drain. Place into a bullet blender or food processor with the almond milk and blend, so you get a thick paste.
- Empty the chilled coconut cream into a large mixing bowl, and using an electric whisk, whip until creamy and smooth. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla and date paste and mix until fully combined.
- Gently fold in the crystallised ginger and almonds and transfer to a freezer-safe container. Sprinkle the sea salt on top, cover and place in the freezer overnight.
- Remove from freezer 30 minutes prior to serving.
This ice cream will keep in the freezer for a few weeks, but will go icy in time, so it is best eaten within a week.
This recipe is extracted from The Grater Good by Flip Grater, Koa Press, RRP $44.95 NZD