260g butternut pumpkin, cut into 2cm pieces
3 cups plain flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ cup Dutch cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ cups firmly packed vegan brown sugar
½ cup vegan caster sugar
450ml unsweetened dairy-free milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup vegetable oil
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
Vegan sprinkles (see page 76) to decorate
For the butterscotch icing
1 cup vegan caster sugar
½ cup (125ml) coconut cream
500g vegan butter, chopped and softened
1 ½ cups (240g) pure icing sugar
- Place the pumpkin in a large saucepan of boiling water. Cook for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside to cool. Mash with a fork, until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Lightly grease and line 2 x 20cm round cake tins.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and baking soda into a large bowl. Add the sugars and ½ teaspoon table salt and whisk to combine.
- Combine the milk, vanilla, oil, apple cider vinegar and pumpkin in a separate bowl and whisk to combine. Gradually add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, mixing until combined and smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, before turning the cakes out to cool completely.
- To make the icing, place the sugar and ½ cup water in a medium saucepan over high heat and stir until just combined. Bring to the boil and cook for 13-15 minutes, without stirring, or until deep golden.
- Remove from the heat, add the cream in a thin, steady stream, being careful as it may bubble. Stir to combine, return to low heat and stir until smooth. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Place the butter and the icing sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle and beat for 6 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the cooled caramel and beat the mixture for a further 6 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Trim the top of each cake and halve horizontally. Spoon 1 cup of the icing onto one half of the cake. Sandwich with remaining cake and ice the top and sides. Refrigerate for 20 minutes in order for the icing to set. Decorate with vegan sprinkles.