These delightful Vegan Beetroot Kisses are sure to be a hit, they’re almost too cute to eat.
Vegan Beetroot Kisses Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup palm sugar
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup white or wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp beetroot powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 400g can chickpeas, liquid drained and reserved, chickpeas kept to make the cream (see below)
Blackcurrant Dairy-Free Cream Recipe
- 1 cup cashews
- Drained chickpeas (from recipe, left)
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp dairy-free margarine
- 2 tbsp raw sugar (optional)
- 340g firm silken tofu
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp beetroot powder
- 1 tbsp freeze-dried blackcurrant powder
How to make our Vegan Beetroot Kisses Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 12-hole shallow, rounded cupcake pan, or grease and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Combine soy milk with lemon juice and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Combine palm sugar and flours in a large bowl. Add baking powder, beetroot powder and spices, and whisk to eliminate any lumps. Stir in soy and lemon mixture, and maple syrup.
4. Using an electric mixer (with whisk attachment) or a hand whisk, whisk the chickpea liquid until a stiff foam forms. Fold the chickpea foam into the dry ingredients until just combined.
5. Cooking kisses in 3 batches, evenly spoon batter into prepared pan holes till holes are half-filled. Alternatively, spoon or pipe batter onto the baking tray, leaving enough room for spreading. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until cakes spring back when pressed lightly.
6. Allow to cool in pan or on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To make the cream, place nuts, chickpeas, maple syrup, salt, margarine and sugar, if desired, in small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until nuts are fragrant and mixture thickens a little.
8. Using a high-speed blender or food processor, blend nut mixture while hot until perfectly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and chill for at least 4 hours to thicken.
9. Spread cream onto one side of half the cooled cakes and sandwich with the remaining cakes to serve.