- 300g macaroni
- 750ml almond milk
- 50g cashew nuts
- 40ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 40g flour
- 100g vegan cheese
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the grill to high. Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute less than the packet instructions. Drain. Meanwhile, put the medium saucepan over a medium-high heat
- Add the almond milk and cashews and bring to the boil. Transfer the mixture to the blender. Blitz until smooth
- Pour the oil into the frying pan and place it over a medium heat. Peel the garlic and grate it straight into the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes until just starting to brown. Add the flour to the pan and whisk until it combines with the garlicky oil to make a paste. Cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low. Slowly pour a little of the almond milk and cashew mixture and whisk until completely combined before adding more until all the nut milk is incorporated. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Grate the vegan cheese. Add the nutritional yeast, mustard and cheese to the pan. Stir to mix and add a splash more almond milk if the mixture is too thick. Taste and season generously with salt and pepper. Take the pan off the heat and stir through the cooked pasta. Spoon into the ramekins.
- Put the breadcrumbs, olive oil and a big pinch of salt and pepper into a bowl and stir to mix • Scatter the crumbs over the pasta. Place the ramekins under the grill and cook for 1–2 minutes, keeping a close eye on them, until the topping is crispy. Serve.
Recipes extracted from Speedy BOSH! by Henry Firth and Ian Theasby, published by HarperCollins, RRP $35.00 AUD/ $39.99 NZD