Tray Baked Winter Pizzas with Green Olive & Chilli Pesto. Simple yet delicious, this recipe makes use of seasonal produce to create a new family favourite.
Tray Baked Winter Pizzas with Green Olive & Chilli Pesto
1 sachet (7g) dried yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
1 cup (150g) fine Italian “00” flour or pizza flour
¾ cup (115g) plain wholemeal flour
⅓ cup (60g) fine semolina
2 tbsp extra olive oil
⅓ cup coarse polenta (cornmeal)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, sliced
250g baby brussels sprouts, halved or quartered
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 cups shredded kale
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
⅓ cup créme fraîche
200g buffalo mozzarella, drained and torn
75g thinly sliced
Green Olive & Chilli Pesto (makes 1½ cups)
2 cups basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
2 medium green chillies, deseeded, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
⅓ cup pitted Sicilian olives
⅓ cup pine nuts
⅓ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- To save time, bought thin pizza bases and commercial pesto can be used. Spoon pesto into a container, drizzle with oil and seal. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- To make pizza dough, combine 3/4 cup warm water, yeast and sugar in a small jug. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes or until foamy. Combine flours, semolina and 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Add yeast mixture and oil. Stir with a flat-bladed knife until mixture combines. Form into a ball with your hands. Knead for 5 minutes on a lightly floured bench or until dough is smooth and elastic. Grease 2 large rectangular (26cm x 38cm) baking trays with oil. Divide dough into 2 portions. Place on an oiled tray. Cover with a tea towel. Allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- To make green olive and chilli pesto, place all ingredients except oil in a food processor. Process until coarsely chopped. Add oil, in a steady stream with motor running, to form a paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 220˚C (fan-forced). Scatter trays lightly with coarse polenta. Flour a clean surface. Roll out each portion of dough to fit trays. Place dough on trays and push into edges.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add sprouts and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until golden. Stir in kale. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until just wilted. Add vinegar. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread pizza bases with 1/2 cup pesto (1/4 cup on each), allowing a 1cm border. Spoon créme fraîche over bases. Scatter with sprouts mixture and mozzarella. Cook for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and base is crisp.
- Scatter with prosciutto. Spoon over extra pesto and garnish with extra basil leaves. Serve immediately.