Tomato & Chilli Beans with Parsnip Mash. This delicious vegetarian take on a family classic is perfect for a mid-week Winter meal.
Tomato & Chilli Beans with Parsnip Mash Recipe: Ingredients
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 small red chillies, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped thyme, plus extra
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 800g tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 800g cannellini beans, rinsed
- 400g butter beans, rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 50g soft feta, crumbled
- green salad and bread, to serve
Parsnip Buttermilk Mash Recipe
- 500g parsnips, peeled, chopped
- 600g potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, 8 minutes. Add garlic and chilli; cook, 2 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, thyme and tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and stock. Bring to the boil; simmer 15 minutes. Add beans, simmer 10 minutes. Season. Transfer to a 1.8-litre-capacity ovenproof dish.
- To make mash, boil parsnip, potato and garlic until tender. Drain, return to pan over low heat to dry. Mash.
- Mix in buttermilk and oil. Spoon over beans. Sprinkle with cumin seeds, feta and extra thyme. Bake 20-30 minutes. Serve with salad
TIP: You can also use pumpkin, kumara or swede for the mash.