Tofu Burger Recipe. Tofu is a perfect substitute for meat in classic dishes ranging from burgers to cheesy bakes. Mixed with chickpeas and coriander leaves, this recipe is a tasty alternative to a meaty classic.
Tofu Burger Recipe
- 300g packet firm tofu, drained
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small carrot, peeled, grated
- 2 cups wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped – optional
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 4 wholemeal bread rolls, split, toasted if preferred
- mayonnaise, to serve
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
How to make this Tofu Burger Recipe:
1. Place tofu onto paper towel. Cover with paper towel and stand for 10 minutes. Pat dry. Cut ⅔ from tofu. Mash and place in a bowl. Cut remaining tofu into 1cm cubes and set aside.
2. Place chickpeas, chilli sauce and fish sauce into a food processor; process until finely chopped. Transfer to bowl with mashed tofu.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrot and cook until soft. Cool and add to tofu mixture. Add breadcrumbs and coriander; combine. Fold in tofu. Divide mixture into 4 and press into patties. Lightly coat in flour.
4. Using a vegetable peeler, form ribbons on cucumber.
5. Heat remaining oil in a frying pan. Add patties and cook for 3 minutes each side. Top base of rolls with mayonnaise, lettuce, patty, cucumber and chilli sauce. Cover with top of roll or place top on the side. Serve.