- 1 pack Silver Fern Farms Venison Diced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4cm piece ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 large red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp tamarind purée, mixed with ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups beef stock
- 1 bunch rhubarb, chopped into 5cm lengths
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Five-Spice & Sesame Brussels Sprouts
- 500g brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
Sweet & Sour Braised Venison Method
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced). Remove the Silver Fern Farms Venison Diced from the pack and rest for 10 minutes at room temperature. Rub with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Sear the venison on all sides, then place into a Le Creuset Cast Iron Casserole with any cooking juices.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli until the onion is softened. Add the five-spice, tomatoes, tamarind purée and sugar and stir to combine. Add to the casserole pot with the stock, then cover with the lid and place in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Add the rhubarb to the dish and mix well. Cover, then return to the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes to 1 hour, until the venison is tender and the rhubarb has softened.
- For the brussels sprouts, halve the sprouts and place in a saucepan of boiling water. Blanch for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Heat the oils in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the brussels sprouts, five-spice and sesame seeds and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes until the brussels sprouts are lightly browned.
- Remove venison from the oven and season with soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Serve with five-spice and sesame brussels sprouts.
Slow Cooker Method
Cook for 3-4 hours on High or 6-7 hours on Low, or until the meat is tender. Add the rhubarb after 2-3 hours (High) or 5-6 hours (Low) and continue cooking for a further hour, or until it is tender.