I have made the carrots the real hero here and kept it simple with adding a green tahini sauce and some herby nuts and seeds to garnish. If you want to make this in to a larger salad then simply add a can of strained lentils and plenty of garden leaves (rocket, beetroot leaves, spinach) to the carrots before dressing with toppings. Perfect as an all in one meal, with plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day or enjoy with roast meats.
- 2 bunches baby carrots, washed and stems trimmed (leave about 1cm)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt + pepper
Green tahini sauce
- 100g tahini, hulled
- Handful parsley, stalks included
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 80ml cold water
Herby nuts and seeds
- Small handful of parsley and mint
- 20g almonds, lightly toasted
- 20g mixed seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius.
- In a large bowl, toss carrots together with olive oil, honey and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Place on a large baking tray; don’t overcrowd the carrots, use two trays if needed.
- Roast for 40 minutes or until just tender and golden brown in colour. Set aside to cool.
- While the carrots are cooking let’s make the green tahini sauce. Pour tahini into a small bowl of a food processor or a nutribullet along with herbs and garlic. Blitz for 30 seconds until the tahini is green. Add lemon juice, water and ¼ tsp salt. Combine until you have a thick pourable consistency. If your dressing is too thick just add a little extra water.
- Roughly chop toasted almonds, mixed seeds and cumin seeds together and place in a small bowl. Roughly chop herbs and add to the nuts and seeds along with the extra virgin olive oil and a good pinch of salt.
- Place warm carrots on a large serving plate. Pour the green tahini dressing evenly over the middle of the carrots and sprinkle with the herby nuts and seeds.