Spiced Chicken and Cauliflower Filo Scroll. With a little bit of know-how and practice, creating your own pastry – sweet or savoury – and pairing it with all manner of delicious ingredients will make even the coldest day seem a little bit brighter.
Spiced Chicken & Cauliflower Filo Scroll
1 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground cinnamon
250g chicken mince
¼ cauliflower, finely chopped
2 tbsp currants
2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
2 tbsp coriander, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp mint, coarsely shredded
14 sheets filo pastry
150g butter, melted
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric and cinnamon; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add chicken mince; cook, stirring to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Add cauliflower; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat. Add currants, almonds, coriander and mint. Season to taste. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Lightly grease a 25cm-round cake pan with butter. Place a filo sheet on a work surface. Lightly brush with butter. Top with another sheet.
- Spoon one-seventh of the filling in a thin line lengthways along the long pastry edge. Roll up lengthways. Starting at edge of the cake pan, carefully coil roll, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining filo, butter and filling, joining each roll to the end of the last and coiling it inside the previous roll until the pan is filled.
- Brush with any remaining butter. Sprinkle with fennel and cumin seeds. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.