This Jasmine Tea Egg with Smoked Chicken Salad recipe from Spice Temple showcases the egg – a traditional Chinese New Year ingredient symbolising a fresh start and new beginnings. Eggs also represent fertility and the joy this brings to families.
Please note: You will need to prepare the jasmine tea eggs a day in advance.
Jasmine tea-infused eggs
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tbsp jasmine tea leaves
1 cup dark soy sauce
2 cloves star anise
1 cinnamon stick
½ cup water
Smoked chicken salad
2 smoked chicken marylands (a cut of chicken which contains both drumstick and thigh), store bought
½ bunch spring onion
½ bunch coriander
2 tbsp crispy chilli oil
Black vinegar dressing
75ml black vinegar
45ml chilli oil
25g caster sugar
5g table salt
For the eggs
- In a cooking pot over high heat, combine dark soy sauce, water, star anise, cinnamon stick and jasmine tea. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take the mixture off the heat and cool down to room temperature.
- In a separate pot, bring water to the boil and gently place eggs into the pot. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove and place into a bowl of ice water immediately.
- Once the eggs have cooled down, gently tap the sides with a spoon to create even cracks.
- Place eggs in a separate bowl and pour over the tea-infused dark soy until submerged. Leave eggs to rest in the fridge overnight.
For the salad dressing
- To prepare the salad dressing, place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well until chilli oil and black vinegar and fully combined.
- Cut cucumber and spring onion into fine long strips.
- Then, roughly chop coriander.
- Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a salad bowl.
- To serve the dish, peel the tea-infused eggs and cut into quarters.
- Combine cucumber, spring onion, coriander and crispy chilli oil with your smoked chicken, and then dress well with black vinegar dressing.
- Serve the egg along with the smoked chicken salad.