You can’t go wrong with this tender Smoky Barbecue Brisket recipe topped with sweet, in-season Charred Sweetcorn Salsa Recipe.
Smoky Barbecue Brisket with Charred Sweetcorn Salsa Recipe
- 1 pack Silver Fern Farms Beef Brisket
- 1 pack Silver Fern Farms Beef Brisket Spice Mix
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup lager beer
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp thyme sprigs
- 8 tortillas
- Sour cream and Mexican hot sauce, to serve
- 3 cobs corn, husks and silks removed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped coriander
- 1 large red chilli, sliced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
How to make this Smoky Barbecue Brisket with Charred Sweetcorn Salsa Recipe
1. Rub the Silver Fern Farms Beef Brisket with the olive oil and sprinkle the Silver Fern Farms Beef Brisket Spice Mix over both sides. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and sear the brisket on all sides, until it is golden brown. Place in a slow cooker or in an oven dish lined with several layers of foil. Ensure the foil pieces are long enough to fold over and seal the brisket and liquid tightly.
2. Add a little extra oil to the pan if necessary and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute then add the beer. Bring to the boil and reduce the beer by half. Stir in the barbecue sauce and the thyme. Pour the liquid into the slow cooker or foil parcel. Cover with a lid or fold over the foil to seal tightly.
3. Cook in the slow cooker on low for 7 to 8 hours or in an oven at 140°C for 5 to 6 hours, until the brisket is very tender and pulls apart. Turn halfway through cooking.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the salsa. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Blanch the corn cobs for 1 minute then drain. Brush corn with a little olive oil then cook on a preheated barbecue for 10 to 12 minutes, until charred and tender. Turn regularly. Once cobs are cool enough to handle, slice the kernels off the cob, trying to keep them in clusters. Place into a bowl with the avocado, red onion, radishes, coriander and chilli. Add lime juice, season to taste then stir gently to combine.
5. Char tortillas for 30 seconds on each side and keep warm in a clean towel.
6. Slice brisket thinly or shred with two forks. Drizzle the cooking juices over the brisket. Serve with the tortillas, corn salsa, sour cream and hot sauce.