- 4 organic pasture-raised eggs
- ½ cup (125 g) maple syrup
- 1½ cups (150 g) almond meal
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup (45 g) slivered almonds*
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a round 20 cm (8 inch) diameter cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the eggs and maple syrup in a high-powered blender. Blitz for 1 minute. Add all the remaining ingredients except the olive oil and slivered almonds and blend a further 10 seconds. With the motor running, gradually add the olive oil over another 30 seconds. (The cake batter will seem quite runny, but don’t worry, it will turn out great – airy, light and delicious!)
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and scatter the slivered almonds over the top. Bake for 30–35 minutes, checking at 20–25 minutes. The cake is cooked when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with a delicious tea.
- If you can’t get slivered almonds from a good source, just use finely chopped almonds as I did for the photo.
- If you want to make a quick syrup to drizzle over the top, warm the zest of 1 lemon, ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice,⅓ cup (80 ml) honey, and 30 g (1 oz) butter in a saucepan over medium heat for 3–4 minutes. Cool and drizzle over your cooled cake.
- To make decorative lemon slices, slice the lemon as thinly as possible, then bake in one layer on a baking tray in a 180°C (350°F) oven for 15–20 minutes.
Images and text from Low Tox Life Food by Alexx Stuart, photography by Cath Muscat. Murdoch Books RRP $39.99 NZD, RRP $36.99 AUD.