Looking for your next delicate starter? Try our decadent and delicious Seared Beef Tataki with Ponzu Sauce & Watercress Salad Recipe.
Seared Beef Tataki with Ponzu Sauce & Watercress Salad Recipe
- 600 eye fillet, trimmed
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 500g Perlas potatoes
- 4 baby cucumbers, quartered
- 2 cups watercress
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1⁄4 cup wasabi peas, crushed, to serve
- Toasted white sesame seeds, to serve
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 1 tbsp rice-wine vinegar
How to make our Seared Beef Tataki with Ponzu Sauce & Watercress Salad Recipe
1. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over high heat. Brush the eye fillet with the sesame oil and add to the pan. Cook for 8 minutes, turning, until seared all over. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside to cool slightly. Wrap in foil and place in the fridge for 45 minutes, or until cold.
2. Place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil over high heat and allow to cook for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and cut into quarters.
3. To make the ponzu sauce, place the lemon juice, soy sauce, mirin and rice-wine vinegar in a bowl. Season well with salt and pepper and mix to combine. Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the cold beef.
4. Divide the beef slices between serving plates. Top the meat with the potato quarters, baby cucumber and watercress. Serve with the ponzu sauce. Sprinkle with the sliced spring onions, crushed wasabi peas and sesame seeds to serve.
If you want to cook your beef to medium, preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Sear the beef in the pan, then place in the oven and roast for 5 minutes. Cool, wrap and refrigerate.