“Buckwheat crepes are something that I like to whip up because they originate from Brittany in France, where I come from. Traditionally buckwheat flour based crepes are for savoury fillings and all purpose flour based crepes are for sweet fillings.” – Chef Manu Feildel
For the buckwheat crepe batter
- 330g buckwheat flour
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 1 egg
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
For the goat’s cheese, honey & walnut filling
- 160g finely grated gruyere cheese
- 160g soft goat’s cheese log, cut into 4 thick rounds
- 120g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup (120g) honey
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the potato, speck bacon and washed rind cheese filling
- 4 large kipfler potatoes, scrubbed
- 100g speck, rind removed, cut into lardons
- ¼ cup (60g) crėme fraiche
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 100g washed rind cheese, cut into 5mm thick slices
- Sea salt, to taste
For the mushroom, onion and pancetta filling
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 100g pancetta, cut into 5 mm dice
- 30g unsalted butter
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- 400g button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 200ml Buckwheat Crepes batter
- 150g gruyere cheese, finely grated
- 1/3 cup (80g) crème fraiche
Buckwheat Crepe Batter Method
- Mix the buckwheat flour and salt in a large bowl, then slowly pour in the water, stirring with a wooden spoon to form a smooth, thick yet runny batter; if it is lumpy, whisk briefly until smooth. Whisk in the egg, then cover with a clean tea towel and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat a crepe pan or 20cm heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Brush with a little of the melted butter, then remove the pan from the heat and ladle in 50ml of the batter into the centre of the pan, tilting the pan to spread the batter across the base. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown, then turn over and with the help of a palette knife flip the crepe over. Add your filling of choice and cook according to the recipe instructions. Repeat with the remaining butter, batter and filling.
Goat’s Cheese, Honey & Walnut Filling Method
- Working in batches, cook the first side of each crepe, then turn over and sprinkle with one-quarter of the gruyere, add a piece of goat’s cheese and scatter with one quarter of the walnuts, then leave for 2 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Fold each crepe over to form a square, partly enclosing the filling, then drizzle each with one-quarter of the honey.
Potato, Spec, Bacon & Washed Rind Cheese Filling Method
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water, then bring to boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the point of a knife goes through without too much resistance. Drain in a colander, then leave in the colander for a few minutes to dry. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skins, then cut widthways into a 5mm thick slices and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Add the speck, then cook for 1 minute. Add the potato and cook for 3 minutes or until golden. Stir in the Crėme fraiche, then remove from the heat. Season to taste.
- Working in batches, cook the first side of each crepe, then turn over and top with one-quarter of the cheese and one-quarter of the potato and speck mixture. Leave for 2 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Fold each crepe over to form a square, partly enclosing the filling. Serve immediately.
Mushroom, Onion & Pancetta Filling Method
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, then add the olive oil and pancetta and cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Add the butter, then, when the butter starts to foam, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onion has softened. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 6 minutes or until they have softened, then add the parsley. Remove from the heat and discard the garlic.
- Working in batches, cook the first side of each crepe, then turn over. Top each crepe with one-quarter of the pancetta mixture, gruyere and crème fraiche, then leave for 2 minutes or until the gruyere has melted. Fold each crepe over to form a square, partly enclosing the filling. Serve immediately.