Butter, for greasing
Crusty white bread (approx 1/2 bakery loaf) – 300 g
Spreadable butter – 60 g
Baby spinach – 50 g
Olive oil – 1 Tbsp
Onion, cut into wedges – 1
Streaky bacon – 200 g
Eggs – 6
Milk – 1 1/2 cups
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Freshly ground pepper – 1/4 tsp
Grated Parmesan – 1/4 cup
Feta, crumbled – 75 g
1. Preheat oven to 180°C fan bake (160°C regular).
2. Grease a 6-cup capacity baking dish with butter.
3. Take the bread and spread 2 sides of each piece roughly with butter. Place buttered bread into baking dish. Scatter over the spinach and push some between the pieces of bread. Set aside.
4. Place the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and bacon and fry gently until onions are translucent and bacon is cooked through, for about 5 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside.
5. While the bacon and onion is cooking, take a large bowl, add the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add half the Parmesan nd mix. Pour over the bread and then leave to sit for 5 minutes.
6. Add the bacon and onion mix to the bread, spoon it over and nuzzle between pieces of bread so that not too much is on the top. Scatter over the remaining Parmesan and feta.
7. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until the bread is golden and egg mix is all cooked. Check halfway through cooking and if it looks like it is browning too quickly cover with foil.
8. Serve while warm with tomato relish.
To find Countdown’s Own range, just look for the green seal on pack. Visit countdown.co.nz