- 175g butter, softened
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup custard powder
Salted Caramel Icing
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 50g butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ – ½ flaky salt, according to taste
Salted Caramel YoYos
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (150°C fan forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream butter and icing sugar until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla essence. Sift flour and custard powder together, add to the creamed mixture then stir until combined. Roll dessertspoons of the mixture into balls and place on baking trays, allowing room for them to spread. Flatten slightly with a fork dipped in flour.Bake in the preheated oven for 18–20 minutes or until just beginning to change colour. Remove from the oven, leave on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
- To prepare the Salted Caramel Icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Place the butter, brown sugar and 2 tbsp water into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over low heat, then simmer for 2 minutes to form a syrup. Pour the syrup onto the icing sugar. Mix well to form a thick, glossy icing. Add a little extra boiling water if necessary. Add flaky salt to taste.
- Sandwich the biscuits together in twos with the icing. Dust with icing sugar before serving, if desired. Store in an airtight container.