Take your squid to the next level with our Salt & Pepper Squid and Chinese Broccoli Recipe, the hot and tasty Tamarind Sauce is a guaranteed game changer.
Salt & Pepper Squid and Chinese Broccoli Recipe
300g Chinese broccoli
1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp sea salt flakes
4 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp cornflour
400g squid, cleaned vegetable oil for deep frying
lemon wedges, to serve
50g piece tamarind, or 2 tbsp tamarind concentrate
½ cup boiling water
1 tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce
½ tsp sugar
1 fresh red chilli pepper, seeded and minced
How to make our Salt & Pepper Squid and Chinese Broccoli Recipe
1. To make tamarind sauce, cover the piece of tamarind with boiling water and let soak for 15 minutes, or until the tamarind is soft. Force tamarind through a fine sieve into a small bowl. If tamarind concentrate is used, dilute it with only ¼ cup warm water. Stir in fish sauce, sugar and chilli. Mix to dissolve sugar.
2. Crush peppercorns, chilli flakes and sea salt with a pestle and mortar, then mix with the flours.
3. Slit squid hoods down one side, open out then score the inside lightly in a criss-cross pattern. Cut into pieces.
4. Fill a large pan or wok ⅓ full with oil. Heat until oil is just smoking. Coat squid in flour mixture, shaking off excess, and fry for 1-2 minutes or until golden.
5. Heat a large pot of water with a steamer over the top. Cook Chinese broccoli for 2-3 minutes until tender yet still bright green.
6. Serve squid with steamed Chinese broccoli, tamarind sauce and lemon wedges.