- 100g rock salt
- 100g white sugar
- 1 small bunch dill, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest, plus 2 tbsp juice
- 2 x 200g fresh salmon fillets, skin removed
- 150g smoked salmon fillet
- 100g unsalted butter, plus extra for sealing
- 100g light olive oil
- 1 small bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp crème fraÎche
- 1/3 cup salmon roe, to serve
- 12 pieces crostini, to serve
Salmon Rilettes with Wasabi Roe and Crostini Method
1 Place rock salt, sugar, dill, and juice and zest from 1/2 lemon in a food processor and process to a smooth paste. Place over 1 of the fresh salmon fillets, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
2 Remove from fridge and rinse thoroughly. Pat dry and finely dice; dice smoked salmon and remaining fresh salmon fillet, keeping them all separate.
3 Melt butter and olive oil in a frying pan over low heat, being careful not to brown the mixture. Add fennel and shallots and cook for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add raw, uncured salmon to the pan and cook for another minute until fish is just cooked.
4 Place into a bowl with smoked salmon, cured salmon, lemon juice, and crème fraîche and gently mix to combine. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and spoon into ramekins.
5 Top with a little melted butter to seal and garnish with a sprig of dill. Serve with salmon roe and crostini.