Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Gruyere & Mustard Sauce. Get ready to wow with this vegetarian friendly steak topped with lashings of creamy gruyere cheese sauce. With only 20 minutes prep and 20 minutes cooking time this mid-week meal idea will be ready in a flash.
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Gruyere & Mustard Sauce
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
2 heads cauliflower
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon crushed garlic
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ cup (60ml) olive oil, 60ml
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
Gruyere cheese sauce:
50g plain flour
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup grated gruyere cheese
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 260°C/500°F. Adjust oven rack to the lower third position.
- Remove the outer green leaves from the head of cauliflower and trim the stem. Using a large knife cut the cauliflower in half lengthwise through the center. Cut a 3cm steak from each half of the cauliflower. If the head is large, carefully cut one more steak from each of the cut sides.
- Repeat process with the other head of cauliflower. Trim any florets not connected to the stem. There should be about 4 to 8 pieces total. Place cauliflower steaks on a lined baking sheet.
- Mix together salt, pepper, garlic and paprika in a small bowl. Drizzle olive oil on both sides of each cauliflower steak. Evenly sprinkle the seasoning mixture on both sides of the cauliflower steaks, about ¼ teaspoon per side.
- Tightly cover the baking sheet with foil and bake for 5 minutes. Remove the foil from the cauliflower and roast for 10 minutes. Gently flip the cauliflower steak and roast until a golden-brown crust forms on both sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile make a cheese sauce.
- To make gruyere cheese sauce, melt butter in small saucepan over medium to low heat. Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Simmer until mixture is thickened, stirring constantly, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheese, stir until melted. Season to taste.
- Transfer cauliflower steaks to a serving platter and serve with gruyere cheese sauce, sliced toasted bread, and winter greens salad.
- To make it more special: Make garlic croutons to sprinkle over the top and serve with a basil pesto.
- To make it more simple: Use a simple tasty cheddar cheese, and roast the cauliflower with out all the spices.
Try some of our other favourite cauliflower recipes: