This Vegan Roasted Beetroot and Walnut Israeli Couscous recipe is sure to leave you wanting seconds, and maybe even thirds.
Vegan Roasted Beetroot & Walnut Israeli Couscous Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 bunch beetroot, peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 small red onions, cut into half
- 1kg piece Jap pumpkin, skin on, cut into 8 slices
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups (250g) Israeli couscous
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted
- 60g rocket leaves
- 2½ tbsp lemon juice
- ¹/₃ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
Vegan Labneh Recipe
500g full fat coconut yoghurt
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt flakes
2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
How to make our Vegan Roasted Beetroot & Walnut Israeli Couscous Recipe
1. Allow 1-2 days to make and hang vegan labneh. Mix coconut yoghurt, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast for a cheesier flavour, if you like. Carefully pour into a large piece of muslin, tie up ends and suspend over a bowl in fridge for 24‑36 hours. Bowl will collect any whey, which can be refrigerated for another use.
2. Roll labneh into small balls and set aside in fridge (Place leftover labneh in jars filled with olive oil and keep in fridge for up to 2 weeks).
3. Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced. Grease and line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place beetroot wedges, cumin seeds and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large bowl. Season then toss. Transfer to 1 prepared tray.
4. On the other tray, lay out onion and pumpkin slices. Drizzle with the remaining oil and season. Roast all veg for 30 minutes, turning ingredients halfway through and swapping trays for even cooking, or until golden brown and tender.
5. Meanwhile, pour stock and 1 cup water into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then stir in couscous and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and couscous tender but still firm. Fluff up with a fork then transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature.
6. Combine all dressing ingredients.
7. To couscous bowl add walnuts, rocket and 1/2 of the dressing. To serve, place pumpkin on a serving platter, top with couscous mixture and beetroot mixture. Serve with vegan labneh and a drizzle of the remaining dressing.
Find more delicious vegan dishes: