These bite sized Rhubarb & Strawberry Pop Tarts look almost too good to eat!
Rhubarb & Strawberry Pop Tarts
250g granulated sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt
250g butter, chilled, cut into cubes
2 tbsp milk, plus extra
2 large eggs, plus one extra for egg washing
1½ cups icing sugar, sifted
1 egg white
2 drops pink food colouring or strawberry essence
¼ cup freeze-dried strawberries, crumbled
2 tbsp pistachios toasted, chopped
- Place rhubarb and strawberries and sugar in a heavy-bottomed pan. Heat gently, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 15-20 minutes then test for setting. Pour into sterilised jars. Cool. If the jam is runny, thicken with a cornflour slurry by reheating 1-2 cups of the jam and adding cornflour mixed in cold water.
- For the pastry, place flour, sugar, salt and butter in a food processor bowl. Pulse mixture until it resembles crumbs. Add the milk and one egg and mix until the dough comes together. Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead for 1 minute to bind together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll each portion of dough out in between sheets of baking paper until 2-3mm thick. Roll into a large rectangle, trim edges to create a 18cm x 20cm rectangle. Cut into 6cm x 5cm shapes to make 12 rectangles, using a ruler to give a nice edge. If dough softens, place back in fridge. Repeat with second portion of dough.
- Place half the pieces on a lined tray. Beat the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon milk, and brush pastry. Spoon a teaspoon of jam in centre. Top with remaining pieces of pastry and using a fork, press down edges to seal. Cut a small hole in the top to allow steam to escape, brush with egg wash. Combine leftover pieces of pastry to make more rectangles to fill and join together. Chill pop tarts until ready to cook.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Bake the tarts for 15-20 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Cool before icing.
- To make icing, mix sugar into the egg white until it is a spreadable consistency. Divide mixture in half, adding pink colouring to one, leaving other half white. Drizzle over the top of the tarts. Sprinkle with strawberries and pistachios.