Vanilla-Flavoured Summer Berries with Vanilla Ice-Cream. Celebrate the warm weather with these delectable, in season Vanilla-Flavoured Summer Berries with Vanilla Ice-Cream.
Vanilla-Flavoured Summer Berries with Vanilla Ice-Cream
1 tsp cornflour
3 egg yolks
½ cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 cups milk
300ml pure cream
2 x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled, sliced or halved
2 x 125g punnet raspberries
2 x 125g punnet blueberries
1 vanilla bean, split through centre
2 cups white sugar
- To make ice-cream, whisk cornflour, egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla bean paste in a bowl. Pour milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until small bubbles form around the edge of saucepan. Remove from heat and slowly pour into egg mixture, whisking constantly until well combined.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and return to heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes or until custard coats the back of a spoon. Cool.
- Pour custard through a sieve into a 6-cup-capacity loaf tin. Cover with plastic wrap and put in freezer for 4–5 hours or until frozen. Spoon ice-cream into a food processor and churn until smooth. Return to loaf tin and refreeze.
- Combine berries in a large bowl and then spoon into a large sterilised jar. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and put in a saucepan with bean, white sugar and 1 cup water. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour into a jug and allow to cool. When cold pour over fruit, secure lid and put in fridge. To serve, spoon berries into bowl, followed by ice-cream.