There’s something for everyone with this incredible Hash Brown Cake, Roasted Tomatoes, Bacon & Scrambled Egg Platter.
Hash Brown Cake, Roasted Tomatoes, Bacon & Scrambled Egg Platter
1.2kg desiree or pontiac potatoes, peeled
1 brown onion
⅓ cup parmesan, finely grated
60g butter, melted
2 tbsp plain flour
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp parmesan (extra), finely grated
6 rashers bacon, rind removed
8 roma tomatoes, halved lengthways
olive oil spray
⅓ cup pure cream
2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
20g butter (extra)
- To make hash brown cake, preheat oven to 220C. Grease and line a 22cm round cake pan with baking paper. Using a grater blade in a food processor, grate potato and onion. Put grated potato mixture in a colander. Using your hands, squeeze as much liquid as possible from potato mixture. Put in a large bowl.
- Add parmesan, butter and flour. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Spoon mixture into prepared cake pan. Brush top of potato cake with oil and sprinkle with parmesan (extra). Bake for 45–55 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Turn out from pan. Cut into wedges.
- Cut rashers of bacon in half lengthways. Thread bacon onto metal skewers. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 12 minutes or until crisp. Cool slightly before removing bacon from skewers.
- Meanwhile, cut tomato on a baking tray lined with baking paper and spray with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until tender and hot.
- To make scrambled egg, whisk eggs, cream and chives in a large bowl. Heat butter (extra) in a large, deep non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook egg for 30 seconds or until it begins to cook around the edge of pan. Using a wooden spoon, gently drag cooked egg towards the centre of pan. Cook for a further minute or until egg is just cooked. Serve scrambled egg with hash brown cake, roasted tomatoes and bacon. Garnish with extra chives and parmesan.