Add some crunch to your next meal with this fresh and healthy Gado Gado Vegetarian Salad. With green beans, baby corn, baby carrots and cucumber you’ll definitely hit your veggie intake for the day.
Gado Gado Vegetarian Salad
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 small red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
½ cup crunchy peanut butter
2 tbsp kecap manis (thick soy sauce)
1 lime, juice
270ml can coconut milk
500g chat potatoes
1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed, peeled
150g baby green beans
125g baby corn, cut in half lengthways
1 butter lettuce
1 telegraph cucumber, thinly sliced
1 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
50g snow pea sprouts
¼ cup fried shallots (available from most Asian stores)
- To make satay sauce, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, chilli, peanut butter, kecap manis, lime juice and coconut milk. Stir until well combined. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until a smooth sauce forms. Allow to cool.
- Put potato and carrot in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5–7 minutes or until tender. Add beans and corn. Cook for 1 minute or until just tender. Drain and put in a large bowl of ice-cold water. Drain when vegetables are cold.
- Put eggs in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 6 minutes. Drain and crack shells. Cool in cold water. Remove shells and slice in half.
- Arrange potato, carrot, beans, corn, eggs, lettuce, cucumber, bean sprouts and snow pea sprouts on a large platter. Serve salad with satay sauce and fried shallots.