Lemon & Saffron Pilaf Salad. Add some zest to your next dish and try this flavourful Lemon & Saffron Pilaf Salad.
Lemon & Saffron Pilaf Salad
½ tsp saffron threads
2 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 cups long-grain rice
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
½ cup sultanas
½ cup slivered pistachios
2 tbsp finely chopped preserved lemon
1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
salt and white pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C. Combine saffron and 1 tbsp hot water in a small bowl and stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat half the oil in a heavy-based ovenproof casserole dish or saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3–4 minutes or until tender. Add saffron mixture and rice. Stir until well combined.
- Pour stock over rice and bring mixture to the boil. Cover pilaf with lid and put in oven. Cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add sultanas, pistachios and lemon to pilaf and gently stir with a fork until well combined. Cool. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- Pilaf may be served warm or cold. Stir through parsley and remaining oil just before serving. Season with salt and pepper.