Gingerbread, Mango, Peach & Blueberry Trifle. Nothing says Christmas quite like the festive flavours of this unmissable Gingerbread, Mango, Peach & Blueberry Trifle.
Gingerbread, Mango, Peach & Blueberry Trifle
1½ cups plain flour
¾ cup self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp ground ginger
3 tsp mixed spice
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup golden syrup
1 cup milk
½ cup light olive oil
600ml thickened cream
1 vanilla bean, split
5 egg yolks (extra)
½ cup brown sugar (extra)
1 tbsp cornflour
300ml thickened cream (extra)
2 large mangoes, peeled and cut into wedges
3 large yellow peaches, cut into wedges
2 x 125g punnet blueberries
¼ cup flaked almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 30cm x 20cm x 5cm-deep slab pan with baking paper.
- To make gingerbread, sift flours, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and mixed spice into a large bowl. Add sugar and stir until well combined. Combine golden syrup, milk, oil and eggs in a jug. Add to flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40–45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make custard, heat cream and vanilla bean in a saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around edge of saucepan. Remove from heat. Using an electric beater, beat egg yolks (extra), sugar (extra) and cornflour in a small bowl until thick and pale. Remove vanilla bean from cream. Slowly add vanilla cream to egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly. Return custard to saucepan. Over medium-low heat, stir for 4–5 minutes or until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil. Pour custard through a sieve into a bowl. Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap. Allow to cool and then refrigerate.
- Pour cream (extra) into a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.
- To assemble trifle, cut gingerbread into small cubes. Put some gingerbread in a large, deep glass dish. Top with some custard, cream and fruit. Continue to layer trifle, ending with fruit on top. Sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate until required.