This decadent Chocolate Marquise with Burnt Caramel Sauce dessert is a chocolate lover’s dream and the perfect after dinner treat when you’re entertaining.
Chocolate Marquise with Burnt Caramel Sauce
500g quality chocolate, broken into pieces
250g butter, cubed
6 eggs, separated
2 egg yolks (extra)
50ml Frangelico liqueur (optional)
pinch of salt
½ cup caster sugar
burnt caramel sauce, to serve
- Grease a 25cm x 7.5cm x 7cm-deep bar pan and line with plastic wrap, leaving overhang.
- Put chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, ensuring the water does not touch the base of the bowl. Stir chocolate mixture occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Using an electric hand-beater, beat 8 egg yolks, one at a time, into warm chocolate mixture, beating well after each addition until well combined. Add liqueur (optional) and beat. Wash beaters.
- Put 6 egg whites and salt in a bowl. Using the electric hand-beater, beat until stiff peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add a large spoonful of egg white mixture to chocolate mixture. Gently stir until well combined. Add remaining egg white mixture to chocolate mixture. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top, cover with plastic wrap and put in freezer to set.
- Unmould cake onto a platter and serve with burnt caramel sauce.
BURNT CARAMEL SAUCE
Put 1 cup caster sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, shaking saucepan often, for 10 minutes or until sugar dissolves and turns a rich golden colour. Add ¾ cup water, a little at a time, and shake saucepan until well combined. Take care when adding the water, as the mixture hisses and bubbles. Remove from heat and cool. Pour into a jug to serve.