2 slices white bread, crusts removed
2 tbsp milk
250g green peeled prawns
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
½ tsp caster sugar
½ tsp curry powder
2 egg whites
16 male zucchini flowers, trimmed
Pinch of saffron
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Bottarga, finely grated to serve
Marigold leaves, to serve
For the batter
150g rice flour
¼ tsp baking powder
225ml cold soda water
Vegetable oil, to shallow fry
¼ cup cornflour, to dust
- Tear the bread, place in a bowl, cover with milk and set aside. Place the prawns in a small food processor with garlic and lemon zest. Season with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Process until finely chopped.
- Add bread; pulse to combine. Add sugar, curry powder and egg whites; pulse to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into each zucchini flower and twist to seal.
- Place the rice flour and baking powder in a bowl. Gradually add the soda water and whisk until just combined.
- Half fill a large saucepan with oil and place over medium heat. Heat until the oil reaches 180°C on a deep-frying thermometer. Working in batches, dust the zucchini flowers in cornflour and dip in the batter. Lower into the oil and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent paper and repeat.
- Meanwhile, soak saffron in lemon juice for 10 minutes. Add half the saffron lemon mixture to the mayonnaise and mix to combine. Add remaining saffron lemon mixture to olive oil. Serve flowers on mayonnaise topped with saffron oil, sprinkled with bottarga and marigold leaves.