Polenta & Seed Crumbed Chicken Schnitzel with Shaved Cabbage Slaw. Put a twist on your next crumbed chicken dish and try this polenta and seed version served with a fresh shaved cabbage slaw.
Polenta & Seed Crumbed Chicken Schnitzel with Shaved Cabbage Slaw Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed 1 cup mixed seeds (see tip)
- 3⁄4 cup polenta
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 4 x 150g chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 cup rice flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 300g green cabbage, shaved
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- Micro lemon balm or mint leaves
- Vegetable oil, to shallow fry
Ranch Dressing Recipe
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1. To make the ranch dressing, place the buttermilk, mustard, parmesan, chives and vinegar in a small bowl, then whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Place coriander, mixed seeds, polenta and parmesan in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside for later.
3. Place the chicken thighs between 2 sheets of baking paper. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, gently pound each one until the thighs are 1cm thick. Dust the thighs in rice flour and shake off any excess.
4. Place egg in a bowl. Dip each thigh into the egg, then coat with the seed mixture.
5. To make the slaw, place the shaved cabbage, celery and lemon balm/mint leaves in a bowl and toss to combine.
6. Pour 1cm vegetable oil into a large, non-stick frying pan. Place over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, cook schnitzels for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel, allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve schnitzels with slaw and ranch dressing.
SMART TIP: We used a store-bought seed trail mix, however you can use a mixture of pepitas, sunflower seeds, buckwheat, sesame seeds and chia seeds.