3 eggwhites, at room temperature
1 tbsp caster sugar
pink food colouring
1¼ cups icing sugar, sifted
1 cup almond meal, sifted
1/3 cup strawberry jam
1 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp milk
Pink Macarons with Strawberry Jam & Buttercream Method
- For macaroons, preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high for 30 seconds. Gradually add caster sugar and food colouring and whisk for 10 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Place icing sugar and almond meal into a bowl and mix to combine. Add half the almond-meal mixture to the egg white mixture and fold through; repeat with remaining almond-meal mixture.
- Place mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm plain nozzle and pipe 4cm rounds onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Lightly tap tray to remove air bubbles and let stand for 40 minutes so a skin forms on top. Reduce oven to 130°C and bake macaroons for 17-18 minutes or until crisp. Let cool completely on tray.
- To make buttercream, place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8 minutes. Add icing sugar and milk and beat for another 3 minutes or until light and creamy.
- Spread half the macaroons with strawberry jam and the other half with buttercream, put the halves together, and serve.