Pineapple & Brown Sugar Friands
- 1 fresh ripe Dole Tropical Gold® Pineapple, trimmed and cut into 12 slice
- 190g unsalted butter, melted
- 60g rice flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g icing sugar
- 100g brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 150g egg whites (from 4 large eggs)
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 120g ground almonds
- 100g white chocolate, melted
- 70g pistachios, finely chopped
How to make Pineapple & Brown Sugar Friands
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Lay the pineapple slices on a baking lined with baking paper. Bake for 30 minutes, or until softened and the edges are starting to brown.
2. Brush the 12 holes of a friand tin with some of the melted butter, and sprinkle all over with the extra rice flour. Ensure the butter is evenly coated with the flour, then turn the tin upside down and remove any excess. Place in the fridge to chill while you make the batter.
3. Sift the rice flour, sugars, ginger and salt into a large bowl. Place the egg whites into a small bowl and whisk until just foamy. Add the egg whites to the dry ingredients, stir until combined. Add the lemon zest, ground almonds and melted butter, mix until smooth.
4. Turn the oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced). Remove the tin from the fridge, place a pineapple slice each hole. Top with the batter, so the batter comes two thirds of the way up the sides of the holes. Bake for 10 minutes.
5. Reduce the temperature to 210°C (190°C fan forced), turn the tray around in the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes, until the edges of the friands are golden and the centres have a slight peak and spring back when prodded.
6. Remove for the oven and allow to cool completely before removing the friands from their moulds. Place on a wire rack and spoon over the white chocolate spreading it to the edges. Sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts and allow the chocolate to set.