Pencil Leek, Haloumi & Olive Tart. Leeks, haloumi and olives make for a seasonal vegetarian tart perfect for weekend entertaining.
Pencil Leek, Haloumi & Olive Tart
¼ cup olive oil
500g pencil leeks, trimmed
2 tbsp vino cotto, plus extra to drizzle
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp thyme leaves, plus 4 sprigs extra
375g piece puff pastry
250g haloumi, cut into pieces
⅓ cup Ligurian olives
100g mixed salad leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over low heat, add leeks, cook, turning occasionally, for 8 minutes, add vino cotto and cook for a further 6 minutes or until softened. Set aside to cool.
- Place ricotta, garlic, egg and thyme leaves in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well to combine.
- Roll out the sheet of pastry to form a 25cm x 35cm rectangle. Spoon the ricotta mixture into the centre of the pastry, leaving a 4cm border.
- Top with pencil leeks, haloumi and olives. Fold in the edges of the pastry to partially enclose the filling. Top with extra thyme and place on a tray lined with baking paper and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp.
- Combine salad leaves with remaining oil and drizzle with extra vino cotto. Serve with the tart.