Sichuan peppercorns, mandarin peel, freshly ground spices and hunks of tender oxtail make this Oxtail And Master Stock Soup Recipe a truly memorable dish.
Oxtail and Master Stock Soup Recipe: Ingredients
- 1kg oxtail
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 brown onions, cut into wedges
- 4 strips mandarin peel
- ½ cup Shaoxing wine
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 80g yellow rock sugar
- 3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 6cm piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 spring onions, cut into matchsticks
- 2 bunches baby bok choy, quartered lengthways
- ½ cup coriander leaves
How To Make Oxtail and Master Stock Soup
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Heat a roasting pan over high heat. Add oxtail and cook, turning, for 6 minutes or until brown all over. Remove from heat.
2. Add chicken stock, water, onion, mandarin peel, Shaoxing wine, dark and light soy sauce, sugar, star anise, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, coriander seeds, cardamom and peppercorns to the roasting pan.
3. Cover with foil. Bake for 2 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone.
4. Remove from oven. Transfer the oxtail to a plate and use a fork to remove meat. Coarsely shred.
5. Place spring onions in a small bowl of iced water. Set aside for 15 minutes or until they are curled. Drain well.
6. Place bok choy in serving bowls. Strain hot stock and pour over bok choy. Add shredded oxtail. Sprinkle with coriander and spring onions.