For a taste of summer try our festive Orange Butter Squares Recipe. The mouthwatering pieces of candied orange peel mixed in to each square take these sweet treats to the next level.
Orange Butter Squares Recipe
Makes about 40
- 200g butter
- 100g candied orange peel, finely chopped
- 300g plain flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 180g white sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 80g coarse cane sugar
How to make our Orange Butter Squares Recipe:
1. Place the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat and heat until melted, frothy and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and place in the fridge until the butter has set again.
2. Place 70g of the candied orange peel in a large bowl with the plain flour and salt, and mix well to combine. Place the butter, orange zest and white sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a beater attachment, then beat until creamy and light. Add the egg yolk and beat well until combined. Add the flour mix, and stir until a dough is just formed.
3. Divide the dough into 4 portions, and then form each into a roll with a diameter of approximately 3.5cm. Then press the rolls all around so that they become angular and have a slight square shape. Wrap all of the rolls in baking paper, then place in the fridge and chill for 2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced) and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Place the cane sugar and the remaining chopped candied orange peel on a flat plate and mix well to combine. Whisk the egg white until foamy. Brush the dough rolls with the egg white and then roll firmly in the sugar mixture, until completely coated. Cut 8mm-thick slices from the dough rolls and place on the baking trays.
5. Place one tray at a time on the oven’s middle rack and bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.