- 80g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 300g pine mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1kg green-lipped mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 400g wholemeal spaghetti
Mussel & Burnt Butter Mushroom Pasta
- Heat a large, deep-sided frying pan over high heat. Add the butter and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it starts to foam. Add the oil, mushrooms and garlic and cook while turning for 4 minutes, or until golden. Remove the mushrooms and set aside. Add the mussels and vermouth, cover with a lid, reduce heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes, or until the mussels just start to open.
- Strain the mussels, reserving both mussels and broth separately. Return the broth to the frying pan. Place over medium heat. Add the cream and lemon zest; bring to a simmer, then cook for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water for 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and add to the cream sauce. Add the mushrooms and mussels, then toss to coat. Divide between bowls to serve.
You can use white wine if you don’t have vermouth. If you can’t find pine mushrooms, use a mixture of swiss brown and button.